trv345

I live in NM , but 100% f my income came from workers no in TX. Does this change anything for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieCo

It depends.  If you are referencing that 100% of your income was from workers compensation in TX, note that amounts you receive as workers' compensation for an occupational sickness or injury are fully exempt from tax if they're paid under a workers' compensation act or a statute in the nature of a workers' compensation act. 

But there are exceptions related to workers compensation received, such as when you receive retirement benefits due to the injury or illness, those amounts need to be included on your tax return.  Plus if you are deducting medical expenses related to the injury, then you must report the workers compensation income to offset the deductions.  See more information below. 

If you have any taxable income, because you live in NM, you will have to file a resident return in NM and you will be taxed on all of your income, no matter where it was earned.  If you worked in TX while living in NM, you do not have to file a tax return for TX since they do not have any individual state income tax.

JulieCo