Solved: I live in ala and I gamble in miss. can I file and get back the taxes I pay on my winnings.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monkeyperk

I live in ala and I gamble in miss. can I file and get back the taxes I pay on my winnings.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I live in ala and I gamble in miss. can I file and get back the taxes I pay on my winnings.

Unfortunately no - MS is a state where that is a nonrefundable 3% tax withheld from all nonresidents' winnings.

However, you can file a nonresident MS state income tax return to report the MS winnings only and then claim a state tax credit in AL for the taxes that you paid on your MS nonresident state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Unfortunately no - MS is a state where that is a nonrefundable 3% tax withheld from all nonresidents' winnings.

However, you can file a nonresident MS state income tax return to report the MS winnings only and then claim a state tax credit in AL for the taxes that you paid on your MS nonresident state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings