I live in a community property state. Can I file t...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michelleduah

I live in a community property state. Can I file through Turbo Tax as married filling separate?

We wish to file separate to keep our student loan payments as low as possible on the IBR plan.
3 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

I live in a community property state. Can I file through Turbo Tax as married filling separate?

Yes you can.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
michelleduah

Thanks @macuser_22 . I might have missed something. So far I’ve gotten to the “file” step and it hasn’t asked for my spouse’s income. My understanding is that I need to report both. What am I missing?

macuser_22
Level 15

It does not sound line you choose Married and not filing with spouse.  Return to the filing status and select MFS.

If you did then use the search topics for "community property".

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings