I live in a community property state. Can I file t...

michelleduah

I live in a community property state. Can I file through Turbo Tax as married filling separate?

We wish to file separate to keep our student loan payments as low as possible on the IBR plan.
macuser_22

Yes you can.

michelleduah

Thanks @macuser_22 . I might have missed something. So far I’ve gotten to the “file” step and it hasn’t asked for my spouse’s income. My understanding is that I need to report both. What am I missing?

macuser_22

It does not sound line you choose Married and not filing with spouse.  Return to the filing status and select MFS.

If you did then use the search topics for "community property".