• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pratikmahajan2

I left USA last year in Dec 2016, but my employer paid my leave allowances in Jan 2017. For that I would have one W2. Can I file 2017 taxes as regular and claim the tax return

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I left USA last year in Dec 2016, but my employer paid my leave allowances in Jan 2017. For that I would have one W2. Can I file 2017 taxes as regular and claim the tax return

Income is reported and taxed when it is actually received, even if it was earned in a different year.  You should expect a W-2 from that employer (make sure they have your current address, if you have moved).  You will include that income along with any other income and deductions on a tax return for 2017, which you can file after you receive your tax documents and before April 15, 2018.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

Income is reported and taxed when it is actually received, even if it was earned in a different year.  You should expect a W-2 from that employer (make sure they have your current address, if you have moved).  You will include that income along with any other income and deductions on a tax return for 2017, which you can file after you receive your tax documents and before April 15, 2018.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v