Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfolkman

I know it is not your fault - but when can I expect my second stimulus payment? --John F.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I know it is not your fault - but when can I expect my second stimulus payment? --John F.

Thank you for a polite question.

The Budget bill that congress passed, and the President signed just over a week ago, gave the IRS until the 15th of January to get payments out.....by direct deposit, or by mail (check or debit cards).

So,

a)   if they have they proper direct deposit for you, you won't know for sure until after the 15th of January .  IF yours was rejected by the bank, for any reason, the the IRS will send it by mail. 

...Or

...b)if the IRS was planning on mailing yours in the first place...they still have until 15 January to send it out that way.   Thus, if yours ends up being sent by mail for either reason, you might not actually know if one was sent until the end of the week of 18-23 January...depending on how fast the Post Office is for mail from the IRS printing site, to your area.

IF you don't get a payment for that stimulus by 23 January (guesstimate), you will be able to indicate that on your 2020 tax return that you would be able to file by sometime after ~1 Feb....but the start date has not been established yet for that, and the 2nd stimulus has not yet been programmed into the tax software since the parameters for the software is still being worked on by the IRS and software companies

.....that's one reason why I indicated after ~ 1  Feb......it might not be in the software until then  (TTX software changes usually happen on Wednesday evenings...so 28 Jan or 4 Feb might be more reasonable guesses as to when it will be included in the software so you could indicate you did, or did not receive it and file your taxes to claim it.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies