I keep hitting the "transmit my returns now" button, but nothing is happening, am I doing something wrong?

Check to see if there is a "Captcha" that is holding it back from proceeding if that is not the issue you can close out of your TurboTax (everything will be saved and you can continue where you left off when you log back in) and retry.  Internet Explorer can be a little glitchy, if you have Chrome that seems to be the best browser to use. 

I would also recommend, checking first to see if it really was submitted. Use the  E-file status lookup tool.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3319882