grantkrause

I keep getting a rejected tax claim for missing pin number, but I did not have a pin and I am leaving it blank as advised. How do I resolve this?

Carl

You flat out can not e-file a federal tax return without a PIN. The E-filing PIN is 5 digits and the very, very, very first time you e-file in your life, you can make up a 5-digit PIN. That 5-digit e-filing PIN will be the same every year, unless you take physical action to change it.

There is also another type of PIN called the IP PIN. (Identity Protection PIN) and that one is 6 digits. Generally, you only need the IP PIN if you specifically requested it, or if the IRS issued you one because of potential or suspected fraud. The IP PIN does change every year, and the IRS will always send you your new PIN for each year, usually within the first two weeks of January.

Now if you have never filed a federal tax return of any type in your entire life and this is your first time, you will have to print, sign and mail it to the IRS. The IRS want's your first tax return ever filed to have an original signature on it.

bekah49855

the IRS is only offering 6 digit PINs presently, I was unable to work to earn enough to file for the last 13 years because I was caring for a sick parent. I do not have a PIN or a previous AGI so does that mean I'm not American enough to qualify for or receive a stimulus?