I keep gettin a rejection when I file for my dependent looks like I need to add there middle name but it only gives me two boxes for the ssn and last name

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MiriamF

Your son would not be rejected because of the lack of a middle name.

Your son could be rejected for one of several reasons:

• Someone else has claimed him on a tax return.
  • His birthdate is wrong.
  • The spelling of his name is different from the one listed on his Social Security card.
  • The Social Security Number is wrong.

For your son to be accepted by the IRS, the information you have entered for name, birthdate and SSN must all match Social Security records. If any one of those is different, he will be rejected.

Well if the middle name is on the Ssn & you just said it would have to match then wouldn't I need to add it ??
MiriamF

If the name was BettyLou, then yes. If the name was Betty Lou, maybe not. You can always try entering the middle name to see what happens. It depends on how the Social Security application was filled out.

I getting code R504-02  this mean name or SSN right? I know it's. Not the Ssn

MiriamF

Your understanding is correct: name or SSN does not match Social Security database. Also check birth date, though.

Ok it's not even giving me the option to double check the date of birth .... do you know how I would be able to check that ?
MiriamF

I only know how to change it in TurboTax, if that's what you mean. You would click the edit icon beside the child's name in the Personal Info tab.

Ok thanks! Now is there a way you can start over ?
MiriamF

Yes. Click the blue My Account tab at the top of the screen. In the dropdown menu, select Clear and Start Over.

Ok thanks for that another question is last year when I filed  I went to an company & for my nephew they put his last name as drew but on his SSN it's parmer & didn't have any issues but would I wanna use what's on his SSN or the last name I used last year ?
MiriamF

If your return was accepted last year, use the name you entered last year. The Social Security card you have now may not contain the latest information.

Ok well I have tried both last names & it keeps giving me the same error .. so you think it's just best to start over ?
MiriamF

No. Try entering another dependent with a different name but the same information otherwise. Then go back and delete the entry that was giving you trouble and change the name of the new dependent to your dependent's name. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will have to mail your return.