I just want to file married but separately Early form
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I just want to file married but separately Early form

1 Reply
New Member

I just want to file married but separately Early form

Hi, please see this detailed FAQ on how to change your filing status: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/how-to-change-your-tax-filing-status/L5yYux3qL

To change your filing status before you file you will need to revisit the Personal Info section.

To do this:

  1. Select the Personal Info tab in the toolbar
  2. Under the Personal Info Summary select edit next to Marital Status
  3. Follow the on screen instructions to change your filing status

Please review the TurboTax FAQ below for more information if you have already filed and need to amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly:

The good news is that you only need to amend one of the returns; the IRS will disregard the other separately-filed return when they receive your amendment.

We suggest amending the one that's more complicated (that way you don't have to re-enter all that info), but it's up to you to decide which one to amend.


You'll need the CD/Download software to do the amendment. If you filed your 2015, 2016, or 2017 taxes in the online or mobile app version, we'll provide you with the downloadable software when you sign in and follow the amendment procedure. For tax year 2018 returns, you'll have to contact us for the 2018 downloadable software.

Amendment instructions:

  1. Follow the directions for the tax year you wish to amend to begin the amendment process.
  2. Install and launch the downloadable TurboTax software, if you haven't already done so.
  3. Once you've gotten to the point where you're working in the "amend" copy of your return (a separate copy for amending, thereby preserving the originally-filed return), click Personal Info and proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  4. Scroll down to Your Filing Status and select the corresponding Edit button.
  5. Check the Change my filing status checkbox, choose Married filing jointly, and select Continue.
  6. Keep following any onscreen instructions until you return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  7. Click the Edit button next to your spouse's name and enter any missing information (date of birth, occupation, etc.)
  8. Proceed through the step-by-step interview, adding in any items reported on your spouse's return (W-2s, 1099s, medical expenses, etc.)
  9. When you're done entering your spouse's info, but before you get to the File section, you'll need to enter the refund or taxes paid from your spouse's return:
    1. Switch to Forms mode. Windows | Mac
    2. Open the Original Return Payment Smart Worksheet (if taxes were paid) or the Original Return Overpayment Smart Worksheet (if there was a refund).
    3. Enter the taxes paid or refund on the corresponding worksheet, then switch back to step-by-step interview mode and continue.
  10. When you get to the File section, follow our onscreen instructions to print and mail your amended return. Amended returns can't be e-filed.
Privacy Settings