Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just tried to start my 2020 taxes and Turbotax autofiloed my daughter's tax information, not mine. How do I switch to my account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just tried to start my 2020 taxes and Turbotax autofiloed my daughter's tax information, not mine. How do I switch to my account?

You wrote:  "I just tried to start my 2020 taxes and Turbotax autofiloed (sic) my daughter's tax information, not mine. How do I switch to my account?

I presume that is supposed to say "autofilled" (prepopulated) and not "autofiled."

In other words, it sounds like you are in your daughter's account.    Hopefully, you have your own separate account and that you didn't try to prepare both yours and hers in the same account last year (or this year.)

Here's how to troubleshoot to find multiple accounts (User IDs) :

You can have up to 5 accounts that use the same email address for notification purposes.  A User ID may be an email address, but it doesn't have to be.  It might be only part of an email address, or it can be anything at all.

To get a list of your User IDs, reset password, and recover account access, etc., you can use the tool at the link below.  When using the Account Recovery tool, try using your phone number first if you can still access it.   After that, if necessary, then run the tool on your email address(es) you can access.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If still no luck after running that on your phone number you can still access and email address(es) that you can access,  here's another method:

Go back to the tool again, but this time leave the data field blank, scroll down a bit, then choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will look you up by SSN and other parameters.

You mean it transferred her info into 2020?  Did you do her return in your account last year?  Online is only good for 1 return.  Do if you used the same account hers overwrote your return.

First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used     

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A TurboTax Online account can only be used for one tax return. To file for both you and your daughter you have to have two separate user IDs, one for you and one for her. You can have up to 5 user IDs with the same email address. See the following FAQ for more information.

How do I start another return in TurboTax Online?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies