Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I (Indian national) worked in the USA from 2018 to 2022 Jan. I now live in Paris and no longer have a US address or bank account. How do I file 2022 returns? Thanks!

First, do I continue to file through TurboTax or Sprintax for non residents? Second, can I claim the refund be deposited in a friend's US bank account?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I (Indian national) worked in the USA from 2018 to 2022 Jan. I now live in Paris and no longer have a US address or bank account. How do I file 2022 returns? Thanks!

If you are not a citizen, resident alien (substantial presence test) or permanent resident (green card holder) then you are not required to file a US tax return unless you have US-connected income.  You would file form 1040-NR using Sprintax.

If you are a resident alien for 2022 (pass the substantial presence test, even though you moved partway through the year) then you file a US tax return form 1040 and report and pay tax on all your world-wide income.  You may be able to claim a deduction or credit if you pay tax on the same income in another country. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

If you have left the US and are not coming back, you might be able to file as a dual status alien.  That means you pay tax on all your worldwide income for the period of time you were a resident, but you only pay tax on US-connected income for the time after you left the country.  This is a bit complicated and you may want professional assistance.  Turbotax does not support this situation.  

In most cases, the IRS will not make a deposit to an account that does not have your tax ID number on it, and if the IRS does attempt a deposit, most banks will reject the deposit if the name of the taxpayer does not match the name of the account holder.  It's also a bad idea to use a friends account because if something goes wrong, you have no recourse with the IRS since they deposited the funds where you told them.  You can get a check by mail, that you can deposit locally, or you may need to re-open a US bank account to receive a direct deposit of any refund.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies