alexhauser23

I helped my fiance pay some of her college debt this year, would that be applicable in any way to my deductions?

I helped my fiance pay some of her college debt this year, would that be applicable in any way to my deductions? She's my sole dependent, and the amount contributed to the debt was about 4000 

Anita01

No, the amount of debt paid is not deductible anyway, only the interest on the students loans is deductible.  When you claim someone as a dependent, you can only deduct this interest if you are actually liable for the debt, which you probably were not.

Anita01

alexhauser23

Thank you for the info