Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mraherauf

I have upgraded computers and I want to have the previous years versions of TurboTax (that I have already paid for) downloaded onto my new computer. How do I do this?

I have TurboTax 2012 to 2017 on my old computer and I want to move the programs to my new computer - I already backed up the data files.  How can I download these to the new computer without have to pay for the versions again?  I still have my download code / email for 2017 but when I click on the download link, it takes me to 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

I have upgraded computers and I want to have the previous years versions of TurboTax (that I have already paid for) downloaded onto my new computer. How do I do this?

You can try downloading the software onto an external hard drive or thumb drive.  Then connect the drive to your new computer and upload. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you originally buy the downloads or buy the CDs?  You can download them again.  You shouldn't need a code.  I don't know how far back you can download.  Why do you need the older programs?  You can only amend the last 3 years.  And if you reinstall older years you can't update it or download any state programs you need.  You should have saved pdf files of the prior years.

If you need to download your program…..
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901289-download-your-turbotax-software-purchase

Access your downloads here
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

Here's some more info on moving to another computer......
Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer

What if I downloaded paid version of the program from source other than Intuit and want to reinstall it? 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Do you mean that somebody bought/downloaded from Intuit and then sold you a copy ----  if the retailer  sold you a download from their server, then you may have to go back to that retailer ( because TurboTax  should be  ONLY able to verify legitimate retailers).  You still should be able to  follow the instructions offered above  i.e. move the file -- if you saved the original downloaded version -- from one computer to another.  You would still have to go to TurboTax / Intuit to get the updates.  Hope this helps 

Yes, something like that. I am yet to verify if it is a legitimate reseller. Have you ever heard about "etaxintuit"?

Please get me number to technical support so i can get previous years downloaded to my new laptop that i have alreadynpaid for

Did you buy the programs directly from Turbo Tax?

If you need to download your program…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

Access your downloads here

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

Here's the support article to find the Windows download

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/find-your-turbotax-for-windows-software-download/0...

You only need the file ending in .tax2019 to transfer into 2020.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

Doing this while you still have access to the old programs is imperative since the 2016 programs and earlier are no longer supported. 

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies