turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 MISC want to show as general income as i don't have SSN for renter. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

1099 MISC want to show as general income as i don't have SSN for renter. How do I do that?

Just delete your 1099-MISC entry in TurboTax and report this rental income under the general income section of rental income.  This should not affect your income reporting requirements with the IRS.

Keep a copy of your 1099-MISC with your tax records for future reference.

When you are reporting your rental income without inputting the 1099-MISC, you will choose some 1099-MISC income but not all. Then just skip the 1099-MISC enter and you will get a screen where you can enter your rental income amount directly (screenshots) As long as the total rental income reported is greater than or equal to what was reported on the 1099-MISC, it will be OK to report it under this section.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

Just delete your 1099-MISC entry in TurboTax and report this rental income under the general income section of rental income.  This should not affect your income reporting requirements with the IRS.

Keep a copy of your 1099-MISC with your tax records for future reference.

When you are reporting your rental income without inputting the 1099-MISC, you will choose some 1099-MISC income but not all. Then just skip the 1099-MISC enter and you will get a screen where you can enter your rental income amount directly (screenshots) As long as the total rental income reported is greater than or equal to what was reported on the 1099-MISC, it will be OK to report it under this section.

Under rental income I choose No, I didn't receive Form 1099-MIsc, upon next screen it shows textbox to enter rental income. Even with that one, I am being asked to provide tenant's SSN. What am I doing wrong?
DS30

I have updated my answer to include screenshots on entering rental income without (or not using) the 1099-MISC
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies