I have TurboTax Deluxe. I have W-2 & 1099. I see where I can enter expenses for W2, but cannot find where I add expenses for 1099. Can I do it with this version?

If you have a 1099-MISC with information in box 7 (non employee compensation) and need to add expenses to be entered into Schedule C, you will need TurboTax Self Employed in order to complete in an online version.

See the TurboTax FAQ link that explains how to upgrade your version:

See the TurboTax FAQ link below that explains how to enter expenses:

Can I upgrade if I purchased the CD version and not online? Is this a change from last year because I don't remember buying the more expensive version last year

You can enter it into the Desktop Deluxe version.  You don't need to upgrade the CD version.  You just get more help in the Desktop Home & Business version.  But you can enter expenses into Deluxe.

I'm just trying to make sure I understand. You said I can enter expenses for the 1099 in Deluxe? That is the way I have it now or I need to upgrade it?

In the future, is it better to do this online and not with the CD?

No you do not need to upgrade your cd/download version of TurboTax if you have deluxe because that version you should be able to enter the 1099 and the expenses.

The Desktop CD/Download program is much BETTER!  You can use a lower version and see and enter into the actual forms.  Here are just some of the advantages of the CD over online, <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...>

I have TurboTax Deluxe. I have W-2 &amp; 1099. I see where I can enter expenses for W2, but cannot find where I add expenses for 1099. Can I do it with this version?

Try this to enter your expenses into Desktop Deluxe
Go to Federal Taxes Tab
Wages and Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or I'll choose what I work on
Then scroll way down to Business Items

Then click EDIT by the business name and the next screen should be a list of  topics,
Business Profile, Income, Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold, Expenses, Assets, and Final Details last.

Under Business Expenses, Click Start or Update by Other common business expenses.  You should see the list of expenses and amounts you entered.
Then click the start or update button by the expense you want to add or edit.

Where do I do that???

Do what?  Is your program and return open on your computer?  Are you using Windows or Mac? Did you get the CD installed ok and started your return?   Click on Federal at the top of the program.

My return would be complete if I could find where I can add my expenses from my 1099 job. No problem with anything else or for the other two returns I did for family members. I did not have this issue last year.

Thank you VolvoGirl!!! Returns are finished!!!