k_c_rucker

I have to pay federal taxes this year. When I printed the return, it printed a voucher for the entire amount and then 4 vouchers for payments. Which method do I use?

Also, if I e-filed, do I have to send a copy of my return in with my payment?

MichaelL1

The one voucher for the entire amount is for the 2016 taxes.

The other 4 vouchers are estimated tax payments for the 2017 taxes.  So it the income stays about the same for 2017, then doing the 4 estimated tax payments would help so you don't owe again a year from now, or get an underpayment penalty.

If you don't want to do the 4 estimated payments, then just shred them and make sure you pay the taxes for 2016, by April 18, 2017 to avoid late charges. 

MichaelL1