turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selassie0701
Returning Member

I have three years of taxes I have yet to file! What should I do?

I know it’s horrible but I haven’t filed my taxes in three years since 2017 so what do I do now? I called H&R Block and they were completely rude and unprofessional so I rather take my business elsewhere. I’ve used turbo tax in the past. I’m just not sure if I should be using turbo tax with three years of taxes I haven’t done. Or should I go to another tax professional or try turbo tax again? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

To do your taxes using TurboTax, the current online product can only be used for 2019 tax return. You would have to buy and download to your computer the CD/download products for each of the previous years. You should start with the oldest year first so that you can transfer information from one year to the next when preparing each subsequent year's return. Prior year returns can only be printed, signed, and mailed. They can't be efiled. You should mail the return for each year in a separate envelope and mail it such that it can be tracked. 

Here is where to buy the prior years: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

There is no way to know whether you should try to do it yourself or go to a tax professional. The program is fairly straight forward for most people with simple tax returns. 

how much income did you have ?

See IRS Pub 501 for who must file based on your income and circumstances.

Selassie0701
Returning Member

Thank you so much honestly had no idea where to start. Really appreciate you reaching out so soon too! 

Selassie0701
Returning Member

@fanfare For the past three years? For 2017 & 2018 I made a little under 27,000 and for 2019 I made over 31,000 where can I find the IRS PUB 501? 

Do a web search with something like Google; search for "IRS Publication 501". Or, you could let somebody do that for you. Here, here's one link: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-501

============

I agree with the first answer to your question. You will need to obtain, perhaps for a fee, basic TurboTax on CD or by downloading. Do oldest year first; TurboTax will bring forward several things into subsequent years to speed things along.

Now, if Pub. 501 exempts you from filing, good for you.

Nevertheless, perhaps you're wanting to eFile in order to facilitate processing for CoVid-19 credits, in which case you could eFile TurboTax for 2019 (the sooner the better, for that purpose). 2019 filing software may be free if you use an online version or such.
One may file currently due simple returns directly with IRS: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Because you do not have a high income, it's possible that your taxes may be so simple that you could file prior late years on a 1040-EZ paper form. Such forms are downloadable: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040-ez

Depending on what Pub 501 says about whether you need to file or not, you must file if you were paid in cash or on a 1099-MISC in order to pay self employment taxes. If your W-2 income is low enough that you don't need to file a tax return, you should file anyway to get a refund if any federal income tax was withheld. You would have to weigh the cost of the software vs. the amount of refund if you don't use the IRS forms and do it by hand. 

See IRS Pub 501 Table 3 "Other situations"

There are seven circumstances listed.

"3. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. (See Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR) and its instructions.)"

in any case your income is high enough that you'd have to file.

if tax was withheld and you are due a refund you have to file within three years or you will lose the refund.

That's why you start with the earliest year.

You still have time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies