turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have the TurboTax deluxe and am being charge for the first state tax filing which should be free. This has also happened in previous years and is disheartening.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have the TurboTax deluxe and am being charge for the first state tax filing which should be free. This has also happened in previous years and is disheartening.

Is it charging you the 54.99 to buy a state program?
Or the 24.99 to efile a state return?

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state is 19.99 early or 24.99 to efile. If you buy the cd at the store the Basic version does not include the state.  And Deluxe is available both with and without the state.  Because some states don't have an income tax.

The State is $24.99 each to efile but it is free to print and mail unlimited returns. And to have the 24.99 fee deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Transfer fee. Or you can use a credit card and avoid the extra charge.

I am running into the same issue, I bought the deluxe version with state and it wants to charge me again to down load the state program, I have contacted customer service and they gave me a code to put in some where, I either haven’t been able to find where they want me to put the code in, or it doesn’t work. Wait on perpetual hold for someone to get back to me.

skipborg1

I am having the same problem.  I paid $74.43 for Turbo Tax Delux in November 2019 which included one state e-file.  When I went to file, I had to pay $24.99 + .25 Tax = $25.24 in addition.  

Order number: TTDCDLA139863387
Order date: Jul 13, 2020
Total charges: $25.24
Payment method: VISA * 4414

Please issue refund.

@skipborg1   Yes there is a 24.99 fee to efile the state return from the Desktop program.  There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until March, then goes to 24.99. 

Box says Federal Returns & Federal E-File plus State returns.  It does not say state efiling is included.  It also says on the back on my CD case in the chart comparing the versions - 1 state product via download (print free  or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies