This is reported as a stock sale. If you have received a 1099-B from your brokerage, you will need to enter the information in TurboTax. All the information you need to enter the stock sale should be on the brokerage statement.
enter a stock sale in TurboTax,
- In your open Federal return, choose Wages & Income
- Scroll down to Investment Income and Show more
- Start or Revisit Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
- Add a sale and answer Yes, you got a brokerage statement. (If you did not get a brokerage statement for some reason, answer No. You will see the screen Choose the type of investment you sold. Select the option for Stocks and Continue.)
- On the next page "Choose your bank or brokerage," or scroll down and select "I'll type it in myself."
- Enter your brokerage name and Continue
- On the page "Tell us about your Brokerage 1099-B" choose the radio button for "I'll enter one sale at a time."
Continue through the interview and enter your information. When you reach the screen Do Any Special Situations Apply to This Sale? choose the option for worthless securities.
- If you need more info at any time, select Learn More.