turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have some w-2g gambling winnings. I have an equal amount of losses. When I enter the w-2g winnings and the losses, Im still paying tax on the New york State portion?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I have some w-2g gambling winnings. I have an equal amount of losses. When I enter the w-2g winnings and the losses, Im still paying tax on the New york State portion?

Gambling winnings are a tough subject when it comes to the tax they generate. You need to report the income and it will be reported on line 21 of the 1040. The IRS allows you to deduct your losses, but only to the extent of the winnings, and it is reported on Schedule A. If you don't have enough to itemize, the losses will not be considered. 

You might be able to deduct the losses on your federal return, but you cannot eliminate the state tax liable on the winnings. 

To enter the loss, type   gambling losses   into the search box

Click "Jump to gambling losses" 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

how do I itemize my losses from gambling
farmdog12

Gambling losses
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Gambling winnings are a tough subject when it comes to the tax they generate. You need to report the income and it will be reported on line 21 of the 1040. The IRS allows you to deduct your losses, but only to the extent of the winnings, and it is reported on Schedule A. If you don't have enough to itemize, the losses will not be considered. 

You might be able to deduct the losses on your federal return, but you cannot eliminate the state tax liable on the winnings. 

To enter the loss, type   gambling losses   into the search box

Click "Jump to gambling losses" 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies