turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjveach

I have received a gift from my son-in-law, who lives in the UK, of $200,000, do I pay taxes on that gift?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have received a gift from my son-in-law, who lives in the UK, of $200,000, do I pay taxes on that gift?

Gifts received are not taxable reguardless of the amount.

You would probably be required to file a 3520 form however, since it is over $100,000.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/gifts-from-foreign-person

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If your son-in-law is a "US person" (you aren't clear on this) for income tax purposes, he must report the gift.  No gift tax is owed unless his lifetime gifts and estate is more than $11 million.  

Gifts received by a US person are only taxable to the recipient under rare circumstances, such as if your son-in-law gifted you a piece of US investment or business property or certain other physical assets that are within the US.  Money is not a physical asset and so gifts of money are never taxable to the recipient.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies