• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holmesmarquise

I have one of my parents a qualified dependent.. But the amount for my dependant does not show.. Or will I have to submit first and then it will be applied?

So is that the amount we potentially can get 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SweetieJean
Level 15

I have one of my parents a qualified dependent.. But the amount for my dependant does not show.. Or will I have to submit first and then it will be applied?

After you add that person as a dependent, you get a $4,050 Personal Exemption (deduction from income) before the tax is calculated.

There are no tax credits for a parent dependent.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SweetieJean
Level 15

Aren't your parents filing a Joint return?
holmesmarquise

No they are not and lived with me all year
SweetieJean
Level 15

After you add that person as a dependent, you get a $4,050 Personal Exemption (deduction from income) before the tax is calculated.

There are no tax credits for a parent dependent.

holmesmarquise

Is that the amount we potentially can get
SweetieJean
Level 15

You do not get the $4,050. That just means $4050 less of your income is taxed.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v