Solved: I have not seen my wife in years how do I file I don't know where she is what do I do

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have not seen my wife in years how do I file I don't know where she is what do I do

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Expert Alumni

I have not seen my wife in years how do I file I don't know where she is what do I do

You could either file single, or head of household if you have dependents.  

From Publication 504 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests. • You file a separate return. A separate return includes a return claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status. • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year. • Your spouse didn’t live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. 

[Edited 4/15/2015 | 9:53 PM est]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 15

How did you file last year, or the year before?
Expert Alumni

You could either file single, or head of household if you have dependents.  

From Publication 504 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests. • You file a separate return. A separate return includes a return claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status. • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year. • Your spouse didn’t live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. 

[Edited 4/15/2015 | 9:53 PM est]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Level 15

He cannot file Single if he is legally married.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings