turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ditchy70

I have not received my SC nor does "get my payment" say that I will. If I claim RRC on taxes my 2020 return has one less dependent. I lose $600. Can this be fixed?

I will not get as much had I gotten the original stimulus check. Feeling cheated here. Someone answer this. I have read that the RRC is calculated by your 2020 taxes and TT program does that. I have found nothing online about how people will be shortchanged. I can't be the only one.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

I have not received my SC nor does "get my payment" say that I will. If I claim RRC on taxes my 2020 return has one less dependent. I lose $600. Can this be fixed?

No.  Since the second stimulus check is based on the 2020 return using the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet, and the fact that you have not yet received the second stimulus check, the results will be final.

Keep in mind that if you are eligible for the earned income tax credit (EITC) and/or the child tax credit (CTC) you will have the choice of which year's earned income you want to use.

In TurboTax screens the question "Do you want to use last year's earned income?" will display for both earned income tax credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) sections. On those screens you can choose to enter your 2019 income for the calculation if that is what you prefer to use.

Check it both ways to determine which is best. Depending on the difference in earned income, it can be the same or drastically different results.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

No.  Since the second stimulus check is based on the 2020 return using the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet, and the fact that you have not yet received the second stimulus check, the results will be final.

Keep in mind that if you are eligible for the earned income tax credit (EITC) and/or the child tax credit (CTC) you will have the choice of which year's earned income you want to use.

In TurboTax screens the question "Do you want to use last year's earned income?" will display for both earned income tax credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) sections. On those screens you can choose to enter your 2019 income for the calculation if that is what you prefer to use.

Check it both ways to determine which is best. Depending on the difference in earned income, it can be the same or drastically different results.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ditchy70

Thank you for the information.

I don't see how this is fair that their error is costing me $! 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies