Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have my mom I support with my brother and I have filled out the form 2120 but she lives in Puerto Rico and gets social security. Can I claim her with her address in PR?

together we both pay more than half to support her.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I have my mom I support with my brother and I have filled out the form 2120 but she lives in Puerto Rico and gets social security. Can I claim her with her address in PR?

Yes.

Citizens of Puerto Rico are US citizens. Dependent individuals that are Puerto Rican citizens pass the Citizen or Resident Test

As long as she meets all of the requirements for a qualifying relative dependent, you or your brother can claim her as a dependent under a multiple support agreement.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Phillip1

Yes.

Citizens of Puerto Rico are US citizens. Dependent individuals that are Puerto Rican citizens pass the Citizen or Resident Test

As long as she meets all of the requirements for a qualifying relative dependent, you or your brother can claim her as a dependent under a multiple support agreement.

Also I read I’m suppose to have a signed statement from each eligible person. Am I suppose to send that letter with tax form 2120 or keep for my records? If I am suppose to send with form 2120 how do I send it to IRS if I’m efiling?
Phillip1

You keep the statements and file Form 2120 with the IRS
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies