Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now

I have my final pay stub for last year but not my W2. Can I still do my taxes?

What information goes where? My earning amounts for the year are different in some areas.
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.

Oh, that's a no-no.  You shouldn't do that; it's too risky.  You could end up with a mess to straighten out.

You must wait on any W-2's, 1099's, etc. to arrive first before filing.  If you file before you have all your information, you risk having to amend your return later.   Your employer is required to furnish you a W-2 by the end of January, but often it will be available before then.  Some employers or payroll companies have a website to download the W-2.  And TurboTax can import the W-2 from some employers, once the company has released the W-2 information.

There's no hurry to file now.  The IRS will not start processing returns until January 23 (except for a few test returns the IRS will pull early.).  Any returns efiled early will just sit on TurboTax servers until then and cannot be retrieved if you notice something wrong or receive additional tax forms.  You'd later have to file an amended return, which is a hassle.  

And starting this year, if you have EIC (earned income credit) or ACTC (additional child tax credit), the IRS will not start releasing those refunds until February 15.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing