turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have more than one tax return, I have three, can I file all three?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

@ padtellolita    wrote:  "I have more than one tax return, I have three, can I file all three?"

Please explain that.

Federal or state?

You said "returns".   Online TurboTax can only prepare 1 Federal return per account (User ID). 

Did you mean you have 3 returns to prepare; i.e., for 3 different people?

Or did you mean you have 3 W-2s and asked the wrong question???   If you have 3 W-2s, those are reported on the same one tax return.

If you did indeed mean "returns", you cannot use the same account for additional Federal returns.  If you try to prepare a second Federal return in the same account, it will overwrite your original return and make it unrecoverable.

Any additional Federal return would need to be prepared in a separate account (separate User ID).   You can use the same email address for notification purposes in up to 5 accounts, but each User ID has to be unique.

FAQ:  How do I start another return in Online TurboTax?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

The desktop software (CD/download) can prepare multiple returns.

Again, if you asked the wrong question and meant that you have 3 W-2s for your income, you report those on the same 1 tax return.

Do you mean you have to do 3 separate tax returns for 3 different people?  

Or you have 3 W2s or 1099s for yourself?  You have to enter all your income into the same tax return.  After you enter the first W2 you can add another.  You can only file 1 tax return for all your income.  Do not file until you enter all your income.

What are you calling a "tax return?"  Do you mean you have three W-2's?    (A W-2 is called a Wage and Tax Statement--do you have three of them?)   If they are all for you or your spouse they go on the the same Form 1040---which is your tax return.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-forms/what-is-a-w-2-form/L6VJbqWl5

Every 2019 W-2 that you received must be reported on your 2019 tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.  You do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for under-reporting your income.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@padtellolita 

Please clarify what your question meant.    Are you referring to 3 different tax returns for 3 different people, or are you referring to needing to file 3 W-2s for yourself.  It makes a huge difference.

If you have 3 W-2s for yourself, they must be filed on the same tax return.

@ padtellolita 

As you can see, the way you worded your question using the term "returns" and without any further info, you have thoroughly confused 3 of us.  😁

So you need to explain more.   Do you mean 3 Federal returns or 3 W-2s with your income to report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

or are you talking about a federal and 2 state returns for the same taxpayer? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies