turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tiphayes3

I have filed 5 of my 8 state taxes and turbo tax will not take the other 3 how do I get the forms to file and mail them in or can I do it by e-filling them IN, IL , MN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have filed 5 of my 8 state taxes and turbo tax will not take the other 3 how do I get the forms to file and mail them in or can I do it by e-filling them IN, IL , MN

It depends.  For more than 5 states it is best to use the desktop software, since you can create an "electronic filing" account and then a "mail-in" account to handle all of the states.  You can still decide to get the desktop software and re-prepare the original return, and then only include the remaining states you have not yet filed.  However, you would do so as a mail-in return and only print and mail-in the states you need.  Here's an FAQ that discusses further how TurboTax handles this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3420559

Your other alternative would be to visit each state's website.  Some states do have direct e-filing options, and all have printable forms that you can download for use if you wish.  This website can assist you to get to each state website quickly:  State Tax Agencies - Federation of Tax Administrators

Unfortunately, there's no "easy" way to prepare that number of individual state returns, but I do hope that this was of some guidance.  Feel free to comment with any questions if we can be of further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  For more than 5 states it is best to use the desktop software, since you can create an "electronic filing" account and then a "mail-in" account to handle all of the states.  You can still decide to get the desktop software and re-prepare the original return, and then only include the remaining states you have not yet filed.  However, you would do so as a mail-in return and only print and mail-in the states you need.  Here's an FAQ that discusses further how TurboTax handles this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3420559

Your other alternative would be to visit each state's website.  Some states do have direct e-filing options, and all have printable forms that you can download for use if you wish.  This website can assist you to get to each state website quickly:  State Tax Agencies - Federation of Tax Administrators

Unfortunately, there's no "easy" way to prepare that number of individual state returns, but I do hope that this was of some guidance.  Feel free to comment with any questions if we can be of further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies