turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sean5

I have an overlap of health insurance. I have 1095 A&1095 B for medicaid for the same two months. Do I still need to report 1095 A and pay the advance tax premiumcredits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I have an overlap of health insurance. I have 1095 A&1095 B for medicaid for the same two months. Do I still need to report 1095 A and pay the advance tax premiumcredits?

Yes, you need to report all the information on your 1095-A.  You will also need to repay the Advanced Premium Tax Credit for the two months you were covered by Medicaid.  This is because taxpayers are not eligible for the Premium Tax Credit when they are eligible for Medicaid.

You may not be required to repay the full amount back as there are limitations.  See the screenshots attached for the repayment limitation amounts.

Same situation but overlapped 6 months so lost don’t know who to ask for help it’s wrecking my life 

Do I just wait for taxes to solve this . Or does the irs just take what I owe or does the marketplace determine stuff , 

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will need to wait until you file your taxes to solve this.  When you enter your 1095-A from the Marketplace, TurboTax will prepare a Form 8962 which reconciles your Advance Premium Tax Credit with the amount you should have actually received.  If you received more than you should have, you will need to pay back the amount you were not entitled to. Depending on the rest of your tax situation, this will either reduce your refund or cause you to owe. If you owe you will need to make the payment when you file your taxes or apply for an installment agreement if you cannot pay it all back before April 15th. 

If you expect to owe, you may want to make an estimated tax payment prior to filing your taxes so you can either avoid or lessen your underpayment penalty. You can make a payment to the IRS using the following link. https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Do not file your tax return until you get your 1095-A.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How will this get fixed on a which form. Will I go to jail . Do I need to hire a tax lawyer . I feel like crying each day . I can’t believe I overlapped these two . I just want to solve this . So I just wait for taxes then . 

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will not go to jail, if this was an innocent mistake.  You may have to pay part of your Advance Premium Tax Credit back with your taxes.  If you are not able to afford to pay it back you will just need to set up an installment agreement with the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

On which form will it show that I overlapped to pay back . The marketplace don’t say much on how to resolve this issue . Many tax people I talk to don’t much about the overlapping and how to enter it . Please help 

Then the marketplace will just send me a form then . They never send me anything during the year saying I overlapped these two . What should I do 

I talked to Medicade they don’t say much either so helpless . How will this get solved I hope at taxes and not through the irs thanks 

I want to pay the premium tax credits back for the marketplace since I overlapped on Medicade . I told the marketplace I overlapped they just say wait till taxes . Who will cancel the Adavamce premium credits . Tax people never heard of my situation I want to make it right but everyone just says reconcile so will tax people know how to do that 

@Emz138 wrote:

I want to pay the premium tax credits back for the marketplace since I overlapped on Medicade . I told the marketplace I overlapped they just say wait till taxes . Who will cancel the Adavamce premium credits . Tax people never heard of my situation I want to make it right but everyone just says reconcile so will tax people know how to do that 

You will need the Form 1095-A from the Marketplace Exchange to enter on your tax return so the Form 8962 can be completed for the Premium Tax Credit repayment. 

Go to this healthcare.gov website for the 1095-A - https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-form-1095/

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

@Emz138 - The answer provided tells you how to repay the Premium Tax Credits on your federal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies