turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mathermj

I have a spouse with a green card that worked for an international organization in the US. How do I need to report her salary?

I have a spouse with a green card that worked for an international organization in the US. How do I need to report her salary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Since your spouse is a green card holder employed by a foreign government or international organization, she is not subject to self-employment taxes and may not voluntarily participate in the U.S. social security system.

You can enter her income as Miscellaneous Income using these steps.

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
  2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.  
  3. On the Miscellaneous Income screen, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Other reportable income.  
  4. On the Any Other Taxable Income? screen, click the Yes box.
  5. Enter her income on the Other Taxable Income screen, along with a description.  Click Continue
  6. You will be brought to the Other Miscellaneous Income Summary.  If you have no more miscellaneous income to report, click Done.

If your spouse paid foreign taxes withheld, you can report them for either a deduction or a credit by going to Deductions & Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Foreign Taxes.

[Edited | 3/23/2020 |  12:23 pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Since your spouse is a green card holder employed by a foreign government or international organization, she is not subject to self-employment taxes and may not voluntarily participate in the U.S. social security system.

You can enter her income as Miscellaneous Income using these steps.

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
  2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.  
  3. On the Miscellaneous Income screen, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Other reportable income.  
  4. On the Any Other Taxable Income? screen, click the Yes box.
  5. Enter her income on the Other Taxable Income screen, along with a description.  Click Continue
  6. You will be brought to the Other Miscellaneous Income Summary.  If you have no more miscellaneous income to report, click Done.

If your spouse paid foreign taxes withheld, you can report them for either a deduction or a credit by going to Deductions & Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Foreign Taxes.

[Edited | 3/23/2020 |  12:23 pm PDT]

mathermj

Turbo TaxIrene Now TurboTax wants to fill out Form 8919 Uncollected SS and Medicare Tax on Wages which she is exempt so how do I handle this problem?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If you entered the income in OTHER REPORTABLE INCOME TurboTax does not ask about SS and Medicare tax.
If  you entered the income in "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" TurboTax WILL create form 8919.  If this is what happened:
** Go back through that interview and on the screen, Other Wages Received, mark NO.
** See if Form 8919 was created and, if so, delete it:  In black bar:  Tax tools > Tools > Delete a form

[Edited | 3/23/2020 |  12:15 pm PDT]

mathermj

I did enter the income in "Other Reportable Income" but TurboTax still asked about SS and Medicare so I've now deleted Form 8919. That glitch needs to be looked at by TurboTax. You verified what I thought to do about deleting Form 8919 and I thank you for your help. Thanks Again!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies