Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a question about my taxes

My husband and I have full legal guardianship of our grand daughter through the courts in my county. Our son died and our daughter in law was proven unfit after his death. Our grand daughter has been in our custody and home since 9/2015 and we have provided all financial support, the only exception is her death benefits (social security) from her father (our son). My husband and I told our daughter in law that we would be claiming Rosalyn as a dependent  for the 2017 year. My daughter in law has claimed her every year even though she has not provided one cent of monetary support. What do we do if the daughter in law files first?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If she files a tax return claiming the personal exemption of the child and the IRS accepts the tax return, then you will be unable to e-file your tax return.  You will have to print and mail your tax return claiming the personal exemption of the child.  If you are due a tax refund the IRS will pay you the refund.

Within a year the IRS will investigate why there were two tax returns filed with the same personal exemption being claimed on each tax return.  You will need to respond to each IRS notice you receive since they will be asking for proof that you were entitled to claim the child's exemption.  The loser of the investigation will have to pay back any tax refund along with penalties and interest.

See this IRS website for Form 886-H-DEP Supporting Documents for Dependency Exemptions - https://www.eitc.irs.gov/eitc/files/downloads/f886-h-dep.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If she files a tax return claiming the personal exemption of the child and the IRS accepts the tax return, then you will be unable to e-file your tax return.  You will have to print and mail your tax return claiming the personal exemption of the child.  If you are due a tax refund the IRS will pay you the refund.

Within a year the IRS will investigate why there were two tax returns filed with the same personal exemption being claimed on each tax return.  You will need to respond to each IRS notice you receive since they will be asking for proof that you were entitled to claim the child's exemption.  The loser of the investigation will have to pay back any tax refund along with penalties and interest.

See this IRS website for Form 886-H-DEP Supporting Documents for Dependency Exemptions - https://www.eitc.irs.gov/eitc/files/downloads/f886-h-dep.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies