Solved: I have a question about filing a return. I have been told that since I receive disability and its not considered earned income that I do not have to file a return, is this true.

I have a question about filing a return. I have been told that since I receive disability and its not considered earned income that I do not have to file a return, is this true.

If Social Security Disability income is the only income you earned in 2016, it is not taxable or reportable, and you need not file a tax return.

If you received other taxable income, you may need to file a return, and include your Social Security Disability income.

If you received non Social Security Disability income, the income will not be taxable if you paid 100% of the premiums.

Otherwise, your disability income may be taxable requiring you to file a return.

See Do I Need To File  a Federal Tax Return This Year?