turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a current new CD version of TurboTax 2018 but I'm using a different computer. Have not been able to access/down load last year's return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I have a current new CD version of TurboTax 2018 but I'm using a different computer. Have not been able to access/down load last year's return

If you used desktop software for 2017 the tax file is on the hard drive of the computer you used to prepare 2017.  Do you still have access to that computer?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How to transfer <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-2018-turbotax-for-windows">...>

Did you use the Desktop program last year?  How to move to a new computer.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer">https://ttlc...>

When using the desktop program, only you have a copy of your tax file.  It is not uploaded to the "cloud", you are responsible for safekeeping and backups.  Use the above comments to help locate the file.  If you can't find it, you will have to do without.  If you need a record of what you filed and didn't save a printed copy or PDF, you can get a transcript from the IRS. 

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

JX5

Last year I downloaded an extra State (PA) which I had to pay extra for in addition to the one I got that was included. Now I'm trying to download that again but it is asking for payment again even though I bought it last year. How can I get the 2018 Tax Return to Open in this case?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please use this link to contact support for further assistance: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mscott28
Returning Member

I contributed to my Traditional IRA in 2019.  I am not covered by a retirement plan at work.  I have retired from another job and I receive Social Security Retirement income.  Where do I report my IRA Contributions on my tax return?

Do you have W2 wages for 2019?

You can type ira contributions in the search bar at the top and it will give you a JUMP TO link to go right to it.

OR Enter IRA contributions under

Federal On left

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll down to Retirement and Investments

Traditional and ROTH IRA Contributions - Click the Start or Update button

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your 2019 IRA contribution (money you put into your IRA), open your return, search for ira contributions and select the Jump to link in the search results. We'll take you to the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen where you can start the IRA interview.

How much of my Traditional IRA contribution is deductible in 2019?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies