Solved: I have a 29 year old son that is unemployed, lived with me all year, and I covered all expenses; he gets state Medicaid insurance. Can I claim him as dependent?

I have a 29 year old son that is unemployed, lived with me all year, and I covered all expenses; he gets state Medicaid insurance. Can I claim him as dependent?

Yes, from what you stated above, he is a "Qualifying Relative" dependent.

If all of the statements below are true, you can claim them as a dependent.

• Relationship: The person lives in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Income: Generally, their income is less than $4,150 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Support: Generally, you provide more than half the person's support.
  • Marital status: Generally, a dependent can't do their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly). They also can't be a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Nationality: The person is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.

Still not sure? We'll ask you questions in TurboTax to help you figure out who you can claim as a dependent.