akrojas88

I have a 1099 misc form, but I’m not self employed. I work for a company that gives a W2 for their wages and a 1099. How do I avoid paying self employed taxes?

Since I’m not self employed, I don’t understand how to enter in the information for the 1099 misc. The income is from credit card tips left be clients. The questions asked in the 1099 sections don’t apply to me and I’m looks for guidance on how to continue? 

TomD8

Ideally your employer should give you a corrected W-2.  If they can't or won't, then do this:

Enter your 1099-MISC in the Other Common Income section of TurboTax, on the line for 1099-MISC.  Go through the follow-up questions.  You'll come to the page that says "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?"  Check the response "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2".  Then proceed through the rest of the questions.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

KrisD

Your employer should report that amount in Box 8 of your W2, they should not give you a 1099-MISC.