I have $646 in expense for 1099 income. Do I really need to pay $114 to upgrade to self-employed to deduct $646 so it won't affect my tax liability?

My old company paid me for the use of a wireless internet router I have through Verizon.  I submitted the bills and was reimbursed for the exact amount it cost me.  Well, they sent me a 1099 with that amount in box 7.  I have the bills from Verizon to offset the tax with the expense, but TurboTax says I have to upgrade to Self-Employed for $114.  I really don't want to have to pay an extra $114 to not effect my refund at all.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al

Yes, that's how they make their money, selling upgrades. 

You can use the download  version of Turbotax Deluxe for about $60, including one state. But to use online software, you have to upgrade to Self employment version.

TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The FREEDOM Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-freedom-edition-and-federal-...

Hal_Al