turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anjelini

I have 2 kids and a live-in boyfriend. I made more in the year and he made too much for me to claim him as a dependent. Is it more beneficial for me to file as single or head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I have 2 kids and a live-in boyfriend. I made more in the year and he made too much for me to claim him as a dependent. Is it more beneficial for me to file as single or head of household?

Filing as head of household is a more advantageous filing status. 

However, in order to claim head of household filing status, you need to make sure that you paid for more than half of the cost of upkeep for your home. If you and your boyfriend share household expenses, you will not be eligible for head of household filing status if your share of the household expense was 50% or less. 

I recommend filling out worksheet 1 on page 8 of IRS Publication 501 to make sure your share of household expenses was enough to meet the qualifications for head of household filing status.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Head of Household, of course.
Phillip1

Filing as head of household is a more advantageous filing status. 

However, in order to claim head of household filing status, you need to make sure that you paid for more than half of the cost of upkeep for your home. If you and your boyfriend share household expenses, you will not be eligible for head of household filing status if your share of the household expense was 50% or less. 

I recommend filling out worksheet 1 on page 8 of IRS Publication 501 to make sure your share of household expenses was enough to meet the qualifications for head of household filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies