turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrchie

I had two separate health insurances. one with my employer for 8 months and one with health insurance marketplace for 5 months. I entered both was this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I had two separate health insurances. one with my employer for 8 months and one with health insurance marketplace for 5 months. I entered both was this correct?

Yes, it is corrrect that you enter both types of information, but you would not enter a 1095-B or 1095-C. All you need to do is indicate the number of months you were covered on the first screen. When asked if you had Marketplace insurance, you would answer yes. Then, enter your 1095-A. If there are zeros on your form, leave those spaces blank in the computer.

why am i being penalized when I have full coverge with both insuraces together

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You are not being penalized, but you are having to pay back some of the advance premium credits you received from the Marketplace plan.   @hectorrodrguez12

The only health insurance forms you have to enter on your tax return are 1095-As.   Column C of that form represents ''advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit''.   If you received these subsidy amounts in 2020, but your income level at the end of 2020 is higher than expected and you don't qualify, you have to repay some of those advance payments (discount or subsidy amounts).  

The premium tax credit was available immediately when you enrolled in a plan through the Marketplace.  It worked like a discount so you could get help paying for coverage throughout the year rather than having to wait until you filed your 2020 taxes.  Payments of the premium tax credit went directly to the insurance company to pay a share of the monthly health insurance premiums charged to you. The amount was calculated based on what you estimated your 2020 income would be, along with how many people your plan needed to cover and where you lived.

Now that you're reporting your actual 2020 income, ZIP code, and family size, we used this info to calculate the discount you should've received throughout the year and made the necessary adjustment. You may get more of a credit (this happens if you made less money than you estimated when you applied) or have to pay some of it back (this happens if you made more money than you estimated when you applied), but there are limits on how much you have to pay back.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies