I had to mail my Federal Return. Can I e-file my S...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had to mail my Federal Return. Can I e-file my State return? Diane Matlock Hatcher

This is for 2019 Tax Filing.
2 Replies
Employee Writer

I had to mail my Federal Return. Can I e-file my State return? Diane Matlock Hatcher

It may have been possible for most states years ago, but no longer due to fraud/security reasons. This article goes into more detail:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-my-state-return-before-my-federal/01/2554...

You will probably have to paper-file but I'm not sure how that works in states that mandate e-filing, like New York. If you're filing NY state, wouldn't hurt to walk through the e-filing in TurboTax, it'll let you know what your options are.

Level 15

No.  A state return cannot b e-filed unless the federal was e-filed.  You will need to mail the state. Federal and state returns go to DIFFERENT  addresses.  Read the mailing instruction page for where to send your state.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings