turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had three jobs in 2017. I entered two of them, and my refund said it was $930. I entered the third, and my refund dropped down to $353. What would cause that to drop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I had three jobs in 2017. I entered two of them, and my refund said it was $930. I entered the third, and my refund dropped down to $353. What would cause that to drop?

There are three main reasons that could happen. 

The first is that the more income you have, the higher the tax bracket you may find yourself in. The higher the bracket, the bigger percentage of your income is taxed.  Even if you did not jump into a new bracket, the entire amount of the second W-2 is being taxed at the higher rate instead of incrementally like the first. Here are the brackets for 2017:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets

The second is withholding, the amount your request your employer to withhold on your W-4. There are three choices you can make on line 3: Single, Married or Married but withhold at a higher Single Rate. If you choice the first or third option, they will withhold more than if you choose Married.

On line 5, you tell how many allowances you with to claim. If you choose zero, they will withhold the most based on the tables (see Pub 15 link below). The more allowances, the smaller the refund, BUT, you will get a little more in each paycheck. In that way, you can choose if you prefer to have more money in your paycheck or at the end of the year in your refund.

If you have a second job that is part time or makes little per week, the table will not direct the employer to withhold amounts based on your entire income.

Please see the links below for more information. The first is a copy of Form W-4. The second shows the withholding tables for 2016, starting in Section 17, Wage Bracket Method.

The third is that your increased income may have decreased any income-based credits you were receiving.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

There are three main reasons that could happen. 

The first is that the more income you have, the higher the tax bracket you may find yourself in. The higher the bracket, the bigger percentage of your income is taxed.  Even if you did not jump into a new bracket, the entire amount of the second W-2 is being taxed at the higher rate instead of incrementally like the first. Here are the brackets for 2017:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets

The second is withholding, the amount your request your employer to withhold on your W-4. There are three choices you can make on line 3: Single, Married or Married but withhold at a higher Single Rate. If you choice the first or third option, they will withhold more than if you choose Married.

On line 5, you tell how many allowances you with to claim. If you choose zero, they will withhold the most based on the tables (see Pub 15 link below). The more allowances, the smaller the refund, BUT, you will get a little more in each paycheck. In that way, you can choose if you prefer to have more money in your paycheck or at the end of the year in your refund.

If you have a second job that is part time or makes little per week, the table will not direct the employer to withhold amounts based on your entire income.

Please see the links below for more information. The first is a copy of Form W-4. The second shows the withholding tables for 2016, starting in Section 17, Wage Bracket Method.

The third is that your increased income may have decreased any income-based credits you were receiving.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies