turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had my state return applied to my federal owed and havent payed the difference yet. Why is the IRS asking me for the full federal owed instead of the difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I had my state return applied to my federal owed and havent payed the difference yet. Why is the IRS asking me for the full federal owed instead of the difference?

A state tax refund can never be used to pay federal taxes owed. 

You owe the total amount of the federal taxes.

Go to this IRS website to pay the federal taxes owed - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Now it is possible for the state refund to be taken and sent to the IRS if the IRS has a lien on the state refund but that can take several weeks to post ... the refund is not automatically sent when filing the return. Check with your state to see if there is a federal offset on your account.

This is helpful - I was confused about that as well. I live in Utah and selected the same option, but it's telling me I owe the full amount to the feds, not the difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies