Solved: I had an Obamacare policy and a private med. policy in 2016. I listed Obamacare on the fed return and private on the state return. Is that OK?

I had an Obamacare policy and a private med. policy in 2016. I listed Obamacare on the fed return and private on the state return. Is that OK?

In TurboTax, the only thing you report about a private health insurance policy is that you had coverage for all the months that apply. There is nothing else to report regarding private insurance.

With an Obamacare policy, you must report everything on form 1095-A.

If you reported that you were covered by health insurance all the months that you had Obamacare and private insurance, then you filed correctly at the federal level. It doesn't matter whether you had both at the same time.

At the state level, it depends on the state. The Obamacare policy will carry through to the state return. If you reported in detail to the state regarding your private insurance, then all is well.