Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

btyack

I had a child born in January 2016 who passed away 2 weeks later, but never left the hospital. Can I claim her as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had a child born in January 2016 who passed away 2 weeks later, but never left the hospital. Can I claim her as a dependent?

Yes.  Assuming you do not have a SSN for her, you will need to print your return and mail it in.  Write "died" and the date next to her name, and attach a copy of her birth certificate, death certificate, or other medical records that will show she was alive at some time in 2016.

You may need to use a fake SSN to complete certain parts of the interview.  Try using your own SSN but with "9999" as the last 4 digits, and then use some white-out to cover it up on the printed copy before you mail it in.  

I'm sorry for your loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes.  Assuming you do not have a SSN for her, you will need to print your return and mail it in.  Write "died" and the date next to her name, and attach a copy of her birth certificate, death certificate, or other medical records that will show she was alive at some time in 2016.

You may need to use a fake SSN to complete certain parts of the interview.  Try using your own SSN but with "9999" as the last 4 digits, and then use some white-out to cover it up on the printed copy before you mail it in.  

I'm sorry for your loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies