steve26

I had a carry over for enerrgy credit from 2016 and now says that amount is carried over until 2018 I have to pay solar comapnt what can I do and why carried over again

i need that energy credit is there any way I can get it I have to pay solar company.

JulieH1

When you have a credit, it is not money in your pocket UNLESS you owe taxes.  

If you have a solar credit for $2000 and you owe $2000, then you end up owing nothing. 

If you have a solar credit for $2,000, but do not owe any taxes, then you have nothing to apply the $2,000 towards so the credit carries forward until you owe taxes.  If you never owe taxes then you do not use the credit.

If you want to make sure you get to use the credit, you can purposefully reduce your withholding to where you owe taxes and then apply the $2000 towards that next year.  You will not get the $2,000 at once but a little at a time over the year.