turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a baby in December 2020 but Turbo Tax listed her as “Other Dependent” on my return? Why did she not qualify for child tax credit? She has a SSN.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had a baby in December 2020 but Turbo Tax listed her as “Other Dependent” on my return? Why did she not qualify for child tax credit? She has a SSN.

#1 reason is you failed to READ the direct instructions on this screen :  

child born months 2019.jpg

#2 reason would be this screen ... the question was NOT   if YOU provided the support ....

child born support Q.jpg

Good news since you did not catch this on the original return  you can amend it ... 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

#1 reason is you failed to READ the direct instructions on this screen :  

child born months 2019.jpg

#2 reason would be this screen ... the question was NOT   if YOU provided the support ....

child born support Q.jpg

Good news since you did not catch this on the original return  you can amend it ... 

If you made a mistake about how long your child lived with you then you make the correction in My Info when you amend.   You have to say a newborn child lived with you for the whole year in order to get the child related credits.  Unfortunately, this is going to affect the monthly CTC payments.    It is going to take a long time for the IRS to process your amended return, so you will have to wait and get the CTC for 2021 on your 2021 tax return.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Well now I feel stupid. Thanks!

Not stupid ... just sleep deprived.   Going forward review the entire return BEFORE you file and then sleep on it and review it again the next day.  Most mistakes would be caught if folks just take a moment to review the return and review it again the next day.   So many posts  on this forum start with " I JUST FILED " and I see I made a mistake.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies