turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got married my spouse is on ssdi how will this affect my taxes

I got married this year. My spouse is disabled and on ssdi. How will this affect my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

A better question is how will it affect  your spouse's taxes?

Social security only becomes  taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately (MFS)and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

So, getting married, and filing jointly,  will give you lower tax rates; but may make some of his/her SSDI taxable. The only way to be sure of the effect is to prepare returns both ways and compare. This tool can be used for that https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1

You cannot file Single (or Head of Household), but must file as either MFJ or MFS.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

A better question is how will it affect  your spouse's taxes?

Social security only becomes  taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately (MFS)and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

So, getting married, and filing jointly,  will give you lower tax rates; but may make some of his/her SSDI taxable. The only way to be sure of the effect is to prepare returns both ways and compare. This tool can be used for that https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1

You cannot file Single (or Head of Household), but must file as either MFJ or MFS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies