turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgl0203

I got married in October and my new husband owes back child support. If we file separetly will this affect my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got married in October and my new husband owes back child support. If we file separetly will this affect my taxes?

Separate filing almost always results in higher taxes or lower refunds because many deductions and credits are reduced or disallowed.  But exactly how it affects you can't be answered without testing.

The alternative is to file jointly and include an Injured Spouse Allocation form.  This is a request to the IRS to pay your share of a refund even though it is a joint return and your husband has debts.  The form is under "Other tax situations."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Separate filing almost always results in higher taxes or lower refunds because many deductions and credits are reduced or disallowed.  But exactly how it affects you can't be answered without testing.

The alternative is to file jointly and include an Injured Spouse Allocation form.  This is a request to the IRS to pay your share of a refund even though it is a joint return and your husband has debts.  The form is under "Other tax situations."

mgl0203

We don't live together and live in different states.  Can I still file single and head of household?

You cannot file single if married.   You can file HOH only if you have  had a Qualifying Child living with you for half the year, and your spouse has not lived in yiur home at any time during the last 6 months of the year.

See HOH requirements in IRS Pub 17.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000170792">https://www.irs.gov/pub...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies