mgl0203

I got married in October and my new husband owes back child support. If we file separetly will this affect my taxes?

Separate filing almost always results in higher taxes or lower refunds because many deductions and credits are reduced or disallowed.  But exactly how it affects you can't be answered without testing.

The alternative is to file jointly and include an Injured Spouse Allocation form.  This is a request to the IRS to pay your share of a refund even though it is a joint return and your husband has debts.  The form is under "Other tax situations."

mgl0203

We don't live together and live in different states.  Can I still file single and head of household?
macuser_22

You cannot file single if married.   You can file HOH only if you have  had a Qualifying Child living with you for half the year, and your spouse has not lived in yiur home at any time during the last 6 months of the year.

See HOH requirements in IRS Pub 17.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000170792">https://www.irs.gov/pub...>