• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
templejen

I got married in August 2016. My husband would stay with me prior to getting married but it was my home and my name was on the lease. Can I claim Head of Household

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Texas Roger
Level 15

I got married in August 2016. My husband would stay with me prior to getting married but it was my home and my name was on the lease. Can I claim Head of Household

No you cannot. No one who is married at the end of the year and lived with their spouse at any time during the last half of the year can file as head of household. Your best filing status would most likely be married filing jointly. Your only other choice is married filing separately which is generally the worst filing status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Texas Roger
Level 15

No you cannot. No one who is married at the end of the year and lived with their spouse at any time during the last half of the year can file as head of household. Your best filing status would most likely be married filing jointly. Your only other choice is married filing separately which is generally the worst filing status.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v