jessicab5669

I got married in 2017. I am filling out the part for EIC. It asks if income is less than 2016. Which it is considerably lower jointly or separately. What do I put?

DS30

Yes, if you live in a disaster area then since you are filing jointly this year, when asking about 2016 income, just consider your combined income for 2016. So if your combined income for 2017 is less than your combined income for 2016, then you would answer yes.

[edited 1/30/2018 - 6:32PM PST]

DS30

[edited 1/30/2018 - 6:32PM PST]

jessicab5669

Thank you.
Zbucklyo

This is an incomplete answer unless you lived in a Disaster Relief area.  If you didn't, your EIC for 2016 is irrelevant.  Turbotax's workflow on this issue is extraordinary confusing,