kerraeb

I got 5 payment coupons. 4 are for $443 due different months. Last coupon is 1 payment of $1783 ($11 MORE than the total of the 4. How is it less to pay by installment?

Paying over time is never cheaper than in a lump sum.  What am I missing?

You received four Form 1099-ES which are used as estimated tax payments to pay 2017 taxes.  They were created by the program based on your 2016 tax data.  These Forms 1040-ES are totally voluntary and do not have to be used.  They are not reported to the IRS.

The one Form 1040-V is for the federal taxes you owe from the 2016 tax return.  This form plus your payment is to be mailed to the address shown on the form.  The taxes owed must be paid on or before April 18, 2017 to avoid a late payment penalty.